Manitoba's First Nations Chiefs are renewing calls for a national inquiry into the disappearance and murders of an estimated 3000 aboriginal women.
On Wednesday, some three-hundred people participating in a rally leading from The Forks to Portage & Main in support of the issue.
“We need an inquiry," said AMC Grand Chief Derek Nepinak.
"We need to talk about the issues. We need to raise the profile provincially, nationally, and internationally and what's happening here."
Some were marching for family while others just see a problem.
"I am walking for all of the murdered and missing women in Canada," said one female marcher.
It was brought to light last month after Shawn Lamb, 52, was arrested and charged in connection with the deaths of three missing aboriginal women, including Tanya Nepinak, 31. Vernon Mann was Tanya Nepinak's partner for nine years and marched alongside her family members.
"It's really brought everything out to light. It's really important to keep going with it so maybe other families don't have to deal with this type of tragedy," said Mann.
Lamb's arrest sparked initial calls for an inquiry, but officials have since rejected the call.
"I don't want to base a national inquiry on any particular case," said Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety.
Supporters believe an inquiry should at least be attempted in light of the fact a public inquiry is being launched into the shopping mall collapse in Elliot Lake, Ontario on June 23 where two people died versus the suspected 600 missing and murdered women country-wide.
"It's always about money," said Francine Meeches, Swan Lake First Nation Chief.
"Everything that we deal with is always about money. Why does money have to be such an issue when there's lives at stake here?"
Source: Global News.
Photo Credit: Global News
Photo Credit: , Global News