December 19, 2013

When you're a young, frolicking snow leopard, the best sight you could wish to see is surely... snow.

And so it proved for this six-month-old cub, appropriately named Everest, who delighted visitors on his public debut at his zoo in Chicago.

The cheeky chappie, who now weighs nearly 15lbs, even used the new-found camouflage to hide away before pouncing on his mother Sarani.

Three-year-old Sarani and her mate Sabu arrived at Brookfield Zoo in Chicago two years ago from Tautphaus Park Zoo in Idaho Falls and Cape May County Park Zoo in New Jersey, respectively.

Snow leopards are listed as an endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), the world's oldest and largest global environmental organization.

They are solitary animals, except for mating and when females are raising cubs.

Offspring remain with their mother until they are independent, around 18 to 22 months.

They reach sexual maturity between two to three years of age.

A leading snow leopard conservation organization, The Snow Leopard Trust, estimates population numbers in the wild are 3,500 and 7,000.

Responses to " Snow leopard cub plays with mom in snow (Video)"

The cub tries so hard to play with her and she just avoids him.

2. uhuman says:

Zoos are a very sad place. The mom looks so bored and trapped on the video. They look like prisoners.

3. Nancy says:

But at least they're alive. Zoos are a necessary evil, I'm afraid. The last sanctuary for many of our wild creatures.

When do they return them to the wild? Or at least to a sanctuary, where they can feel like they're in the wild. I had read that zoos, were no longer there to keep animals like prisoners, so they could make $$.
    It was my understanding that it was their duty to take them in until they could be released again. Thank you for sharing this,because I would like to do the research. :)

5. This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Phoenix says:

I am torn between delight at seeing these rare and spectacularly beautiful cats and sorrow about their prospective future in the wild. Even the inhospitable (to humans) regions these magnificent cats call home are becoming impossible for them. How sad to think they may one day only exist in tiny enclosures like this.

she's not avoiding the little one, she's leading him on, encouraging him to pounce. teaching him. she knows exactly where he is and what he is up to ^_^

8. Eric Mac says:

Such a beautiful animal, however I must say my first reaction was that the mom is stressed beyond normal... Sorry, however I'm not a fan of this..

I'd rather be dead than live in a zoo.

great photos and video of a very beautiful endangered species ! Love snow leopards !

It looks like the mom is not a happy camper. I saw a video with a cheata and a dog at the zoo they where playing and having so much fun! Sad what humans do for there own needs and wealth!

SHE LOOKS STRESSED

Mommy is TRAINING. She is acting like a cat; they do not smile. I have one – he has me. The tail speaks volumes. She is leading the little one on for training for his independent adulthood. As for sanctuaries; Where? Guessing you have not read much about poaching on wildlife sanctuaries. Want to guess where most Elephant tusks for carving and souvenirs come from. "Stressed" – sorry but did you interview her? Relaxed and training. She looks like an animal - they do not smile nor have the same “body language” as humans. “Zoos” may be their ONLY chance to exist. Steve

okay then how about you have the zoo if your so smart

Recommendations