Wednesday

Chilean Horse Rescue: Stranded in Four Feet of Snow

By the time this horse was discovered, all alone on a mountainside and up to her belly in snow, she seemed as though she had given up any hope of making it out alive. But in that cold, lonely place, the warmth of human compassion won the day.

Rafael Pease and a friend had planned to spend the day snowboarding in the Chilean Andes, celebrating Pease's 21st birthday, but they soon found themselves in a position to save a life. While shredding through the blanket of fresh powder, Pease spotted what he at first thought was a rock off in the distance. As he looked closer, however, he realized it was actually a creature in desperate need of help.

Digging with snow shovels, the pair was able to free the exhausted horse from her icy confines. After feeding her, Pease and his friend slowly led the horse down the mountain where she was reunited with her owner, who informed them that she had been missing for four long days.

If the snowboarders hadn't come along, it's not likely the stranded horse would have lasted much longer. And while riding the slopes might have been a more pleasant way to spend the day, Pease says he wouldn't have had it any other way.

Responses to "Snowboarders Save Stranded Horse From Freezing To Death"

1. Jill says:

This literally had me in tears! how wonderful... lovely, genuine and caring young men!!!

God bless those heros for their kind and compassionate hearts thank goodness they had an owner and was reunited . Val in Perth Western Australia

I realize the horse was probably dehydrated but I hope the owner is feeding her a lot more now. She must have been terribly thin to begin with.

4. roofdog13 says:

yes you guys are heroes you saved a life

5. ...thanks to the rescuer - and also thanks for sharing - well done :-) (y)!

It shouldn't have been dehydrated, animals can eat snow for hydration. I agree must have been really thin to start with. Great kids, to help out this animal.

7. Gosh when I am witness to such miraculous events I do wonder at the alchemy of it all. Wish I were able to follow all the characters in this miracle and see what has transpired because of this Kindness and the Synchronicity of circumstances.

God bless you guy's

9. pilvikki says:

love it!

four frigging days? didn't the owners look for her?

11. The best living creatures on this earth are humans who are kind. I wish they were the majority..

May you be forever blessed in your lives for saving that beautiful souls life.If I could hug the hell outta you I would.Many thanx from an animal warrior....