Sunday

"She takes care of the Lifeblood of Mother Earth – water."

A First Nations elder who has "walked the equivalent of half the earth's circumference" to build awareness about pollution, laws, fracking, and the selling of the water, is being honoured today in Toronto.

Josephine Mandamin received the Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Award for Excellence in Conservation at a ceremony held at Queen's Park.

Anishinabek Nation Grand Council Chief Patrick Madahbee said Mandamin, who hails from Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory [also known as Wikwemikong First Nation], has walked the shorelines of five Great Lakes as well as in all four directions of Turtle Island.

"She takes care of the Lifeblood of Mother Earth – water."

Mandamin herself said she "will go to any lengths to and direction to carry the water to the people."

"As women, we are carriers of the water. We carry life for the people," she stated in a news release.

"So when we carry that water, we are telling people that we will go any lengths for the water. We'll probably even give our lives for the water if we have to."

Mandamin is one of seven recipients of the award for volunteer contributions to the conservation of community heritage over a period of 25 years or more.

Responses to "Ojibwe Grandmother has walked 17,000 km to raise consciousness about water "

1. I have no words for you that fit here My heart is over whelmed. But I honor you all my eyes fill with tears for what is now taking placing. I love you.
    Blessing

How is it, though, that I have just now heard of you? Thank you for what you have been doing. For the water, but for all of us, too. Thank you.

3. John Gault says:

THANK YOU!You are a blessing to us all.May God give you the strength to continue with your life journey.

May you continue to be blessed as you are the blessings to us all. Thank you for your committed action! I love you.

5. I am so honored to be on Earth with you, beautiful elder! Much love to you on your journeys. Please carry my son's memory with you. He would have loved your Grandmother love for all of the Creator's children and for our Mother Earth.

6. kpp says:

Truly, Josephine Mandamin, you are a blessing. May you continue your journey to enlighten others. You are blessed. Much gratitude...

7. Tim K. Thompson says:

It is good to hear of your effort to bring the importance of the sacred life giving water to the attention of the people. I commend you for the undertaking you have taken in order to bring this matter to the attention of the many people who take water for granted and for the people who pollute the water. You are a shining example to the younger people and to me too.

8. Respect and honor!

Miigwetch, prayers for the water protectors everywhere

10. Sariah Korneluk says:

Josephine Mandamin, heartfelt miigwetch for your leadership in protecting Water. Words can not fully express the gratitude i feel for your dedication and action towards defending the sacred. That you do such vital work while facing ongoing genocide, systemic and institutionalized racism, dispossession of home and Her bounty as well as cultural assimilation is a testament to your Warrior Womxn ways. My prayers are that my fellow settlers wake up to the truth in so called Canada, and act to end these terrors.i love who you are Josephine.

With people like you bringing attention to our worlds troubles, and people's decisions, there just might be hope. Thank you for the World's Future.

12. Lise Richer says:

I am very proud to be Ojibwe. You gave me more power to do something the most I could to help. your leadership and your force and dedication is showing me to try more even with my disability.
    Thank you for the encouragement of life. Only go forward and stay Positive every day is a blessing and show us to go forward.
    Lise Richer from Ottawa, On. Ca

Thank you ..with deep gratitude. Blessings to you and your family and friends .

14. Blessing to you and others who have taken this walk WATER IS LIFE, Thank you.

15. My students have learned of your walks and have been touched by your commitment and hope. Thank you.

16. 17,000 km is a tremendous journey of love and devotion. I am saddened only by the fact that your story is just now part of my consciousness. Blessings for all of your journey and obvious hope that Humans may one day recognize what is truly important - before it is too late. It is refreshing to read of someone who inspires pride and joy in being a human being. May all of our journey's be worthy of your spirit and commitment.