Wednesday

Photographer Corey Hancock was hiking a trail in Oregon when he spotted something that turned out to be a baby bear on the brink of death.

Hancock wrote that the bear was “laying there on his back, seeming by all appearances to be dead. His lips were blue. His eyes were open, but unmoving and hazy. The rain was pouring down, drenching his belly. I might have seen a shallow breath.”

“I thought about my own baby boy back home. The bear looked so much like an infant. Was I just going to stand there and watch it die in the rain? No… I needed to do something.”

So he took the bear with him and started running to his car. “The whole time, I was sure a raging mother bear would come for me.”

Once they got to the car, the baby bear stopped breathing. Hancock performed mouth-to-mouth and the animal started breathing again.

The rescuer took him to the vet where he is getting stronger everyday, being treated for severe dehydration and starvation.

However, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Hancock could have been fined $6,000 for helping the bear. Or even worse – sent off to a jail for a year. Luckily, there will be no punishment for this kind-hearted man.

Responses to " Man risks jail-time to save a dying baby bear that he came across while hiking"

1. assissi3 says:

Thank you Corey for your heart and courage. People like you make the world a better place.

Well done ...need more like you in the world

What a sweet little baby bear! Kudos and thank you Corey for picking it up and getting it to the vet where it will get the care that it needs. Since it was malnourished and dehydrated and lying there dying it is doubtful Mom was anywhere near this poor cub. Someone probably shot her. I would have done the same thing if I came across a dying baby bear. Fine, jail time, ok fine! I would never, ever, leave an animal in distress if there was something I could do to help it, especially a defenseless baby. I agree, when the new laws allow killing bear cubs and their moms while hibernating in their dens, and gasing wolf pups to death, yet fine and imprison someone who helps sick and dying wildlife, this country has gone to the dogs! What a crying shame.

4. im glad he saved this little babies life....so very kind

5. So....you dont go to jail if your wonderful hobby is killing bears and wolves BUT if you save a defenceless baby bear you can Have a fine or even go to jail...really??? I mean, are we out of our minds or whats the problem??maybe is because the air we breath or the water we drink???? O_0
    Now seriously, I would really like to know whats the issue to condemn you to jail if you save a wild animal.what is the rule you broke for the judge or government in the moment you save a life.

6. MANCINI says:

he did a very nice thing what a very nice man

I cannot believe they would fine him for saving this baby but just passed a law to make it legal to shoot bears during hibernation! Talk about having your priorities screwed up! Thank goodness this angel decided to take a chance and saved this little life! Bless you!

8. Fines exist because so many people kidnap healthy animals from protected areas because they think they are sick or lost while the animals aren't actually in distress at all, the animal is the one who ends up paying more, potentially losing its family or even dying. It's obvious why this man was spared the fine, because he was helping an animal that was in trouble for real.

As a person from the Bear Clan. Wela'lin, for saving our brother!

10. anita r says: