Friday

“I accept this award, but I wonder what is in my future by accepting this lifetime achievement award” joked Studi as he spoke about the importance of more American Indians becoming involed in the acting profession.

Wes Studi (Cherokee) was given this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award by the National Indian Gaming Association at its annual tradeshow and convention in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

He also spoke about the importance of strong economic development in Indian Country. Studi said there is no reason why American Indians should not become movie makers as a means for economic development.

In January 2018, Studi discussed his Cherokee heritage on NPR. In March, he Studi became only the second American Indian to speak at the Oscars. Sacheen Littlefeather (White Mountain Apache and Yaqui) was the first in 1974.

Studi’s most recent role is in “Hostiles.”

Now, as time goes on, I hope to find one where I can be in the lead. You know, I think that's every actor's dream, actually, to play lead parts. But no, it doesn't bother me because I've realized from the get-go that this is not a story about my character. My character adds to the story, and is an integral part of it all, but it is not about my character.

Responses to "Cherokee Actor Wes Studi Given Lifetime Achievement Award"

1. Congratulations to a great human being first and a great actor secondly.

2. ::respect::

3. May there be many roles in your future. Thanks for representing, and good to see you being acknowledged for that too.

Congratulations Wes Studi!!! Fine actor and definitely a lead character material! Thank you for being a power of example and speaking up about important issues. Much Respect!!

It's about time

6. suxi says:

Most brilliant and also handsome actor in America. More, more, more.

7. Infinite Respect Wes!!! Thank you for your courage, talent, and standing up to the challenges of life in such grace. The Honor is Shared.

Super proud of you cuz! Love ya!

Excellent 😎😎😎

Suggested lines for Wes:
    “Hear me, people, we have now to deal with another race – small and feeble when our fathers first met them but now great and overbearing. Strangely enough they have a mind to till the soil and the love of possession is a disease with them.
    These people have made many rules that the rich may break but the poor may not. They take their tithes from the poor and weak to support the rich and those who rule.
    They claim this mother of ours, the earth, for their own and fence their neighbors away; they deface her with their buildings and their refuse.
    Their nation is like a spring freshet that overruns its banks and destroys all that are in its path.
    ‘We cannot dwell side by side. Only seven years ago we made a treaty, by which we were assured that the buffalo country should be left to us forever. Now they threaten to take that away from us. My brothers, shall we submit? – or shall we say to them: ‘First kill me, before you take possession of my land.’"
    – Chief Sitting Bull