The Federal Court suspended on Tuesday (30) the injunction that forced the Indians out of an area on the farm Cambará in Iguatemi, which is south of Mato Grosso do Sul.
The case gained notoriaty after the disclosure of a letter from the indigenous people living in the area. In the text, they vowed to resist any attempt to vacate the site. "As an indigenous people and with our indigenous history we decided collectively to stay here and risk our lives for what we believe in." said community leader, Pyelito kue-Mbarakay.
The expulsion of the Indians had been requested to the Justices in January this year by the owner of the farm and was accepted in September by Federal Judge Sergio Bonachela, of Ashland (MS).
The suspension of this injunction was decreed by a federal judge, Cecilia Mello, the TRF-3 (Federal Regional Court of the 3rd Region), based in Sao Paulo.
The judge found that the region is traditionally occupied by the Indians and that "no one has, to date, confirmation of who are the real owners of the land. That's because the Funai (National Indian Foundation) are still working on a study to delineate the indigenous lands - work that began in 2008 but was not completed until now."
In her decision, Judge Mello also said that the presence of the Indians "does not interfere in the activity of the Cambará farm, because the total area of land is more than 760 hectares."
The new ruling allows for the Guarani-caiová Indians to stay in an area of one hectare (or ten thousand square meters) until the end of the scoping studies. Funai, in turn, is required to complete the studies "as soon as possible."
Please take a minute to sign the petition below to support the position of the Indians to stay on their land.