Sunday

There is an abundance of shelter dogs in the deep south. That's why Greg Mahle founded a transport service to relieve these unwanted dogs from their death sentence and ship them north to the arms of loving and eager dog owners. Since then, Greg has driven a million miles to save dogs. Literally.

With incredible devotion, dedication and stubborn hard work, Greg has been making a 4,200-mile round trip twice a month for 10 years to pick up dogs from the southern United States and drive them to awaiting families in the north. His truck is filled with shelter and rescue dogs every single trip and many of these dogs were just a day or two away from being euthanized.

It takes Greg usually 7 days to pick up dogs from the various rescues he works with in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, and then drop them off in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and New England states.

His devotion and dedication to the dogs he helps save has been highlighted in a book written about him entitled "Rescue Road: One Man, Thirty Thousand Dogs, and a Million Miles on the Last Hope Highway."Greg's love of dogs started when he got his first dog. He lived in rural Ohio and one day a dog followed him home from school and never left. “The dog loved me and was my companion. I knew something good had happened,” Greg said during an interview on a publicity tour for the book. “The dog taught me how to be a compassionate person, and about kindness and caring.”

Since beginning Rescue Road Trips, Greg has saved 30,000 dogs, clocked countless hours away from his wife and stepson and ensures that the rescues and adoptive families he works with will take care of his furry charges!

Responses to "Man spends half his year driving to save dogs; has driven million miles and saved 30,000 so far"

I am a mobile dog groomer with a 22 foot long step an and I want to drive dogs to forever homes like this guy.....anyone want to underwrite me?

2. pilvikki says:

good man!

3. deb says:

this man got a big hearth and very devoted to animals needs; what a MAN. congratulations

Wonderful and caring man.

He is such a WONDERFUL PERSON!

6. Starr69 says:

Can you help me save Farishuy please. He is on his way to be euthanized in NYC as I write this. There are a lot of people who are working very hard to save him. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated!

7. Paula says:

Is this guy single because he is my kind of man!! Just Sayin

8. Unknown - Start a Go Fund Me Page! ... This Man is a Hero!

9. fabulous story!

Paula, I was thinking the same thing, but if you read the article, it says he's married. The good ones are usually taken.

The love and compassion this man has renews my faith in humans

Thank you so much dear Greg Mahle and Team for the awesome act of Humanity and Love for Animals. This is an example that we must protect our Animals. Once again Greg our most sincere appreciation. http://pawsflorida.org/

Among all of the fear and hate, there is love and kindness all around, you just have to look. We all have the power to make a difference.

14. Q Pei says:

Salute!!! Sir, you're a hero to the furkids. May your kindness inspired more kind souls. The world is more beautiful with happy stories to share.

15. julie g says:

Wow what a guy , to be devoted and not only save a dogs life, to show them the meaning of love absolute unconditional !

16. You are a blessing to these precious furbabies! God bless you for all that you do. You are an angel and an absolute HERO!!!!!!

17. Nina says:

You are a phenomenal Person ~ A beautiful person, doing an extraordinary job, making things happen for those you love ... and although you might not always feel it, you are loved and appreciated.♥

This is a real man, no questions asked and hands down. Paws too. What a sweet earth angel.

19. I had faith that there were good people in this world and this just makes it still true you are an amazing person and may God bless you in everything that you do. If there is any way I can help or donate or do anything to help out with these animals that you save please let me know

20. Morgana says:

What an extraordinarily kind man Thank you so much, God bless you.