Thursday

An Army veteran learned how to fly and bought his own plane so he could rescue hundreds of cats and dogs from kill shelters.

Paul Steklenski, 45, from Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, forked out $65,000 (£50,000) for an aircraft which he fills with crates of unloved animals facing euthanasia.

The tank operator-turned-IT expert realised he wanted to save animals after adopting a homeless dog from a rescue centre.

At first, Mr Steklenski considered driving to kill shelters in the US and transporting the canines elsewhere by road to help them find owners.But he knew he would be able to give dozens more abandoned pets new lives if he transported them in another way.

He had coincidentally started learning how to fly in 2013 as a hobby, but realised at the same time that he wanted to rescue animals, so went on to get his licence.

Then in May 2015 he set up Flying Fur Animal Rescue and says he's single-handedly saved 742 animals since then, many which were neglected or abused. In February the US Army ex-serviceman of eight years - an SPC who trained troops in Kentucky - even bought his own plane to help with the task.

'Seeing the dogs at the shelter was heartbreaking. It was horrible to think that there were so many animals being euthanised because they're stuck in a certain area.

'The further south you go the more there is a pet overpopulation problem. It is distressing.

'I realised I could help make a difference by going down there, picking them up and taking them to other shelters.

'The plane is a tool that allows me to do a lot in a day that I couldn't do with a bus.

'It's an extremely emotional job but it's very rewarding.'

Mr Steklenski, who lives with his wife, fellow IT expert Michelle, 46, takes off a day or a half day once a month to fly to shelters, where he picks up some cats as well as dogs.

The caring pilot, who went on to adopt a second dog himself, Layla, now loads as many dogs and cats as he can squeeze onboard in one go - sometimes up to 23 in one trip. He flies to North Carolina and takes them to shelters in other states where there's a better chance they'll be adopted.

But though it's a battle finding the funds, he says actually making the cross-country trip with dozens of dogs is straightforward. Mr Steklenski, who does not have children, said: 'Once the engine starts up they fall asleep or will stay awake and look out of the windows.

Responses to "Army veteran flies across America to save more than 700 pets from kill shelters"

OK, that is very very nice but if he makes what every veteran makes, how come we are always complaining that they are living on the streets with no money. What is up with that?

2. Erinout says:

What a onderful couple of caring human beingsGreat job you are doing, keep up the good works!

Thank you for your kindness and compassion. The world loves you for it. Diana

4. Sukawka says:

God bless him.

5. Sheri says:

He doesn't make what "every other veteran" makes. Veteran salaries are as diverse as the regular population. He is an IT professional. Many vets are homeless or under-employed as they cannot transfer their skill-set from military to civilian when they are discharged, not to mention that combat veterans may have a host of other challenges when returning to civilian life. Do some research. This is a wonderful story. Or we can shift our focus to the hardships vets endure upon discharge. Both can exist at the same time.

I'd like to know how to help I'd love to have a rescue and save all the pups I'd like to know more please. Get ahold of me as I'm a hufew dog lover but will save kitties as well I want so bad. Dogs are my heart

I'm the unknown. Marcy Welch please contact me. I'm a huge animal liver. Dog kisses are the best

Your amazing thank you so muchxx

9. Polana says:

Two times my hero,
    1) US military veteran and 2) saves animals!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!

10. In response to "Anonymous" -- If I was going to make a total a$$hole remark like that, I wouldn't have the guts to sign my name to it either.

Thank you. This is amazing.

12. Hope says:

Thank you To Paul & his wife! To those that want to help, please volunteer with local rescues. I volunteer transport by car and love it! More help is always needed.

Wow................Ya gotta love this guy........A special soul.

14. Bless you my brother - I respect all you do for the animals

I want onexsobcan you bring me onecto illinois

16. Anu says:

The 1st comment who was talking about veteran's is a real jerk!

It makes no sense to keep every pet animal alive there are way to many of them now and that attitude will result in millions more of them. Millions of pounds of food and animal waste every year. Tens of millions of dollars spent on them instead of helping people. I once reply ed to a similar post that I spent money on needy people not pets and got ^(*(&(*&% from you idiotic people.

I salute you. You are a truly wonderful person. Served your country and saves animals. You are my hero!

19. Where do you fly to? What states? Cities? I would love to adopt one of your pups. Do you take them all to other shelters ?
    (bp)

What a wonderful job you are doing and certainly unconditionally rewarding... There is a site who rescues dogs and cats from Afghanistan. The site is called Nowzad on face book.. Just put that word in an the site comes up...

21. Gypsy says:

To Paul Steklenski, God bless you and keep you.

22. You're wonderful!

23. Diane

To anonymous who wrote there are too any animals,too much food, etc. I really believe you are misinformed. Animals have a soul. We are obliged to help them also. Have a heart.

Thank you and God Bless him....a true Flying Angel. I give my time as volunteer in our small Animal Shelter (no-kill), and we have a good program to assist our dogs and cats find their forever home. It is heartwarming to know what a difference this Paul and his wife have made.

25. Barbara says:

God bless you for the wonderful job you do. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. How can I donate?

Thank you for your service to our country.Thank you for saving all these beautiful souls. If you are ever in AZ we would be happy to fill your plane with dogs that need rescuing. God Bless you & thank you!

27. Diana says:

You are a hero to the country and these sentient beings. And to this "Anonymous" person who is posting- you are truly cowardly and repulsive.

28. AMRRescue says:

Spay and neuter so there are fewer animals in need of homes. Dr. Jeff makes sure all animals who come to him are. More vets who offer low cost spay and neuter would help reduce unwanted kittens and puppies.

29. Jason says:

To the uniformed poster above talking about keeping the pets, there is a process here. Every rescue must be neutered. This actually helps the population immensely. Get informed before you blab. More idiocracy in America.

30. to: ANONYMOUS

Perhaps you are unable to read. The man has a job, probably something you don't have. That's how he has the money. He also undoubtedly does this rather than golf, skiing, or other expensive hobbies. Like drinking. You are a coward to post anonymously.

Paul, I too am a VET (retired SCPO) Please contact me at pneumatikos74777@gmail.com. I want to help financially and in any other way I can.
    For ANONYMOUS - GET A LIFE

32. Kimberly says:

Please no one else give any energy into responding to Anonymous. This is a uneducated heartless individual who is looking for attention. Lets focus instead on what a wonderful thing it is this family is doing for animals. God bless him and I am grateful for knowing theres people out there that know the animals lives matter. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

33. MsLark says:

I would love to have the white dog! Such a sweet face. ❤️

The smile on your face as you hold these dogs says it all. Well done!

35. The man of my dreams!!!! Lucky puppies!!

You and your wife are awesome souls! Thank you so much for helping all these animals!

wow amazing. god bless you...more and more blesssings to you, your family and all the dogs that you rescued... more power

38. Sandra says:

This is a beautiful story ,this man is an earth angel, and to the Anonymous person that keeps leaving negative comments , After all the criticising you are doing I hope you are doing something to help the homeless veterans ,I’m not just sitting on here being a keyboard warrior who isn’t even brave enough to put their name to the comment